harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Nathan Beyer <ndbe...@apache.org>
Subject xerces and xalan dependencies
Date Thu, 30 Apr 2009 00:50:30 GMT
I've been thinking about how we consume Xerces and Xalan, especially
since we've had to do some of the more recent modifications to the
build scripts to manipulate the JARs and archives in various ways. As
an alternative to grabbing the binary packages, we could grab the
source code itself and do our own builds. We could do this by grabbing
the officially distributed source archives or we could checkout the
code directly via svn:externals pointing to release tags (some risk in
that).

One advantage this has is that the code would be compiled at the
bytecode level of our code (Xerces currently builds to support Java
1.3). The other would be a more natural fit into the classlib module
structure, which would allow us to build and package manifests as well
as additional tests.

Just something I've been knocking around in my head. Any comments or
additional thoughts?