harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Tony Wu <wuyue...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: xerces and xalan dependencies
Date Thu, 30 Apr 2009 08:03:11 GMT
On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 3:19 PM, Mark Hindess
<mark.hindess@googlemail.com> wrote:

> In message <3b3f27c60904291750s2ac0530fib707c1c34e96400f@mail.gmail.com>,
> Nathan Beyer writes:
>>
>> I've been thinking about how we consume Xerces and Xalan, especially
>> since we've had to do some of the more recent modifications to the
>> build scripts to manipulate the JARs and archives in various ways. As
>> an alternative to grabbing the binary packages, we could grab the
>> source code itself and do our own builds. We could do this by grabbing
>> the officially distributed source archives or we could checkout the
>> code directly via svn:externals pointing to release tags (some risk in
>> that).
>
> I'd rather not use svn:externals.

I dont like svn:externals either. Probably it's not necessary to keep
them up to date. How about vote for whether to update when discussing
the next milestone build. I incline to grab the src code so that we
won't heavily depends on the script.

>> One advantage this has is that the code would be compiled at the
>> bytecode level of our code (Xerces currently builds to support Java
>> 1.3). The other would be a more natural fit into the classlib module
>> structure, which would allow us to build and package manifests as well
>> as additional tests.
>
> I've been thinking about creating modules/xml (and modules/orb) so that
> these dependencies are handled in a way that is more consistent with
> our modular structure.  It would allow us to do things like
> -Dexclude.module=orb and not have to download the yoko dependency (which
> would be sensible for Harmony Select).

yes, I think it is the consistent with Nathan's "more natural fit into
the classlib module structure"

>> Just something I've been knocking around in my head. Any comments or
>> additional thoughts?
>
> We don't really do very much to the jar.  (Now that we are doing it only
> once per download rather than once per build) I don't think it is a big
> deal.  However, I like the idea of actually running xerces and xalan
> tests on Harmony and perhaps the best way to do that is to grab source -
> unless the tests are in a jar?

good point. we'd better run these tests on Harmony.

--
Tony Wu
China Software Development Lab, IBM