harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Tony Wu <wuyue...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: xerces and xalan dependencies
Date Thu, 30 Apr 2009 02:28:25 GMT
I think it's a general idea which applies to all the dependencies such
as ICU, BouncyCastle, etc.

We need to understand one thing that is comparing to the side effect
of folking the src code, what benefits we can harvest. another is
whether they are allowed to be redistributed.

It should be disscussed case by case,

XML related
you have mentioned that we can
1. rebuild them to the same bytecode level
2. make them more natural as harmony modules.

ICU
It's the one which I want to customize as soon as I can. With ability
to change the src code and build, we can
1. remove the unnecessary cycle dependency from ICU code rather that a
work around in harmony code.
2. Improve performance - this area is one of the worst against RI.
3. remove unnecessary data and duplicate charsets to reduce the
disk/memory footprint

BouncyCastle:
A quick test shows that it consumes more memories than RI - still dont
know why. but changes to the src code is definitely required to fix
that. Also we can do customization to include basic algorithms into
the core of Harmony Select which are just talking about to reduce the
size and achieve better modulization.

YOKO
Anyone want to do this?

BCEL
do we still need that? I see ASM has been included.

just to stimulate the discussion, need more thoughts.

--
Tony Wu
China Software Development Lab, IBM