harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Tony Wu <wuyue...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [general] Lesson and roadmap thoughts
Date Tue, 21 Apr 2009 15:22:44 GMT
2009/4/20 Tim Ellison <t.p.ellison@gmail.com>:
> Alexei Fedotov wrote:
>> Under resource constraints we may even think of dropping Java 5 in favor of
>> Java 6. This would save Java 6 supporters their merge efforts and nullify
>> merge bugs.
>
> Maybe.  I hadn't thought of going that far - at least, not without a
> reasonable overlap period that allows people to migrate from 5.0 to 6.0
> stream.
>
> Given we don't make a big deal of publishing the 6.0 stream code today,
> I think it would be unreasonable to abandon the 5.0 stream abruptly.  We
> may well get to that point over time.
>
>> Why have not we done that before? AFAIK, one wanted to pass TCK for Java 5,
>> and that was an important step to ship Harmony release, which in turn was
>> important to officially participate in benchmarks. I don't think this plan
>> would fail due to 5% more failures we got due to Java version
>> incompatibilities. There are stronger risks, e.g. TCK absence.
>
> I agree, and that is why I'm proposing a different approach for the 6.0
> stream.  Rather than shoot for 100% completeness to the Java SE 6.0 API
> and request that TCK, I suggest we select a number of Harmony modules
> and publish a useful 'select' runtime.  With our architecture it is then
> trivial to expand out with the additional modules to reach the full SE
> in time.

Good thoughts. A minimal core of the runtime at 6.0 level is easier to
achieve - it brings less effort than delivering the whole Java6. And
then the other modules could be added in on demand when they are
ready.  I believe it is also a good experiment on modulization.

Besides that, one of our GSOC project is the OSGi on Harmony, maybe we
can think about building this core runtime on OSGi.

--
Tony Wu
China Software Development Lab, IBM