harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Hindess <mark.hind...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: xerces and xalan dependencies
Date Thu, 30 Apr 2009 07:19:26 GMT

In message <3b3f27c60904291750s2ac0530fib707c1c34e96400f@mail.gmail.com>,
Nathan Beyer writes:

> I've been thinking about how we consume Xerces and Xalan, especially
> since we've had to do some of the more recent modifications to the
> build scripts to manipulate the JARs and archives in various ways. As
> an alternative to grabbing the binary packages, we could grab the
> source code itself and do our own builds. We could do this by grabbing
> the officially distributed source archives or we could checkout the
> code directly via svn:externals pointing to release tags (some risk in
> that).

I'd rather not use svn:externals.

> One advantage this has is that the code would be compiled at the
> bytecode level of our code (Xerces currently builds to support Java
> 1.3). The other would be a more natural fit into the classlib module
> structure, which would allow us to build and package manifests as well
> as additional tests.

I've been thinking about creating modules/xml (and modules/orb) so that
these dependencies are handled in a way that is more consistent with
our modular structure.  It would allow us to do things like
-Dexclude.module=orb and not have to download the yoko dependency (which
would be sensible for Harmony Select).

> Just something I've been knocking around in my head. Any comments or
> additional thoughts?

We don't really do very much to the jar.  (Now that we are doing it only
once per download rather than once per build) I don't think it is a big
deal.  However, I like the idea of actually running xerces and xalan
tests on Harmony and perhaps the best way to do that is to grab source -
unless the tests are in a jar?

Regards,
 Mark.