harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Mark Hindess" <mark.hind...@googlemail.com>
Subject [jdwp] tool to aid debugging
Date Wed, 22 Apr 2009 12:53:24 GMT

I've spent a little time debugging some JDWP recently and thought it
might be useful to let others have access to the tool I wrote to help me
trace the interactions between JDI and JDWP.  I've checked in the two
scripts at:

  https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/harmony/standard/tools/jdwpdump

The main script is jdwp-dump which takes a tcpdump file of a jdwp
session and tries to convert it in to a human-readable form.  The second
script, jdwp-spec, was used to generate most of the jdwp-dump script
by parsing the HTML of the JDWP protocol spec and converting it to a
beautiful perl data structure.  (I tested it on an earlier version of
the spec so assuming it doesn't change much it should work for any new
version too.)

Both scripts have a brief usage description embedded in the POD
comments.  I'm sure they have quite a few bugs but they were "good
enough" to help me so perhaps they will be useful to others.  If anyone
does use them, I'd be very interested in feedback/bug reports.

Regards,
 Mark.