harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Hindess <mark.hind...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [testing] Proposal for archiving our tests into one bundle
Date Thu, 09 Apr 2009 09:19:57 GMT

In message <c30d70960904090130y16909d18i35c0e06761a81dc@mail.gmail.com>,
Alexei Fedotov writes:

> Sean, thanks.
> I think, this is a great step. BTW, I think it makes sense to separate
> implementation independent tests (if any) into a separate bundle.
> This may be a hard task though.

Indeed.  I thought about this and did a few quick grep's of the tests to see
how difficult it would be.  Let's just say I think it is best if Sean doesn't
get distracted by looking at this problem. ;-)

My feeling was that the approach taken by some of the early patches on
JIRA was reasonable.  In essence:

1) the compile tests targets in the modules should be extended to create
jar files in the classlib/deploy/build directory

2) the run-tests targets should be modified to run the tests using the
jars as (boot)classpath entries rather than the directories we currently
use

The number of jar files associated with a module would depend on
the current classification of tests which is based on the use of
subdirectories.

The next step might be to create a file in the hdk
classlib/deploy/build/ ant/test.xml that by default runs just the api
tests but with options to run all the tests that could be executed using
for example:

  PATH=/test/jre/bin:$PATH ant -f $HDK/build/ant/test.xml

(Somewhat like the ant file for compiling native code that I created[0]).

Making this work for non-harmony JVMs would be a final big step.

Regards,
 Mark.

[0] http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=rev&revision=667003