harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Egor Pasko <egor.pa...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [discuss] Harmony Select 6 definition
Date Tue, 28 Apr 2009 08:41:50 GMT
On the 0x5A0 day of Apache Harmony Tim Ellison wrote:
> Last week, in the lessons learned thread, we talked about having a
> reduced footprint runtime delivery based upon our Java 6 branch [1].
>
> The goal would be to get exposure of the Java 6 code in a form that is
> still useful to a wide class of (headless) programs.  Using Harmony's
> modular architecture we can quite easily deliver on the Java 6 modules
> that are further developed at the moment, with plans to back-fill the
> other modules as they become available.
>
> Here's a strawman proposal about what I think should be in the "Harmony
> Select" build:
>
> Included
>   ANNOTATION         ARCHIVE             AUTH
>   BEANS              CONCURRENT          CRYPTO
>   JNDI               INSTRUMENT          LANG-MANAGEMENT
>   LOGGING            LUNI                MATH
>   NIO                NIO_CHAR            PACK200
>   PREFS              REGEX               SECURITY
>   SQL                TEXT                XML
>   X-NET
>

> Which means the following modules would be left out:
>   ACCESSIBILITY      APPLET              AWT
>   IMAGEIO            ORB                 PRINT
>   RMI                SOUND               SWING
>   X_MGT
>

> I chose the above lists somewhat arbitrarily based upon the Java 5 build
> content.  I haven't listed some modules we might want to include that
> are Java 6 specific (e.g. JAXB).
>
> Discuss :-)
>  - Can you imagine paring down the 'Included' list any further?
>  - What is missing from the list that must be there to make it useful?

Is this to minimize download size? Or the first step towards a
packaging system? What is the estimate download size in your proposal?

What is the target audience? Trying to imagine someone saying "with a
5 MB download I am so happy to have headless java" ... and .. I should
say I do not know many people who would say that. Let's assume this is
just me, a side effect of being happy today :)

--
Egor Pasko