harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Sian January <sianjanu...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: Google Summer of Code 2009
Date Mon, 23 Mar 2009 10:02:58 GMT
Hi Jimmy,

It's the students that are selected rather than the projects.  Each
student applies to one or more projects then their applications are
ranked and the top N (30?) get through.  Of course they can't go
through without a mentor who is willing to mentor them, so we
shouldn't let one mentor propose 10 projects for example as that would
be unfair to the students when they can only mentor 1.

Ranking is likely to be based on:

- A well written and well planned application
- Involvement with the community (e.g. discussions on the Harmony
mailing list and contributing a patch is ideal)
- Technical knowledge related to the project
- Communication
- Past experience with an open source project
- Time available to work on the project

As a mentor you can help your project to be chosen by writing the
description as well as possible and making it sound interesting so
that it attracts lots of applications, but ultimately it's about the
students so there's only so much you can do.

Hope this helps,

Sian

2009/3/23 Jimmy,Jing Lv <firepure@gmail.com>:
> Hi,
>
>     Sian, I see some students here are interested in attending the
> GSoC, especially Apache Harmony projects. However as I see there are
> so many projects now [1] , over 30 without current Harmony Projects,
> so maybe some projects will not be selected .
>     Do you know the criteria that Apache choose the projects? If the
> student tries to attend the project but the project fails to be chosen
> as one of the GSoC project, what will be a waste of time, so I hope I
> can help them to choose the project correctly. Do you have some ideas?
> Thanks in advance.
>
> [1] http://wiki.apache.org/general/SummerOfCode2009
>
> 2009/3/19 Sian January <sianjanuary@googlemail.com>:
>> Sounds sensible - I'm happy to have a quick read through next week
>> after everyone has finished writing their descriptions.
>>
>> 2009/3/19 Alexei Fedotov <alexei.fedotov@gmail.com>:
>>> Sian, Jummy,
>>> Some of our recent projects on the Wiki page may put help of an
>>> English speaker to a good use. What do you think?
>>>
>>> Thanks.

Yes, I truly
OSGi, one

I make the
I will enrich the

but the
Harmony Project

JDK with

Are there any open
your multi-vm and

discussions/suggestions/comments :)

their ideas up on the Wiki -
is a deadline.

or something like that, instead of
so could we use their format?)
entries without subsequent constant
at other places (eg constant pool)

Xiao-Feng Li wrote:
PM, Egor Pasko <egor.pasko@gmail.com>
Project ideas related to this include:

support Google Android applications. (Android
be much faster with the much more powerful JIT and

Dalvik on top of the Android stack or making a
a common desktop?

 At the moment I prefer the second approach:
Android applications on desktop. The first
be a project of Google Android.

I cannot imagine how much work is

Well only when somebody really
gradually get some good solution. To