harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Deven You <devyo...@gmail.com>
Subject about java -version issue for harmony java launcher
Date Thu, 19 Mar 2009 06:05:50 GMT
 Harmony java launcher  "java -version" command can not work with IBM J9
VM26 . The error result is as below:

 ../jres/see/bin/java -version
Apache Harmony Launcher : (c) Copyright 1991, 2008 The Apache Software
Foundation or its licensors, as applicable.
JVMJ9VM007E Command-line option unrecognised: -version
HMYEXEL062E Internal VM error: Failed to create Java VM
FAILED to invoke JVM
This issue occurs on both linux and windows x86 platform.

 I find our laucher just invoke the mothod JNI_CreateJavaVM()  of  vm which
on j9 vm does not deal with -version option according to JNI Specification.
the specification says:
"All Java virtual machine implementations must recognize the following set
of standard options:  ..."
it lists:
 -D<name><value>
 -verbose
 vfprintf
 exit
 abort

It then goes on to stay:
"In addition, virtual machine implementations may support their own set of
implementation-dependent option strings.  Implementation-dependent option
strings must begin with "-X" or an underscore."
Any other option is non-standard.

but for DRLVM, seems its JNI_CreateJavaVM() does not comply with JNI
Specification and support -version option.the result is below:

Apache Harmony Launcher : (c) Copyright 1991, 2008 The Apache Software
Foundation or its licensors, as applicable.
java version "1.5.0"
pre-alpha : not complete or compatible
svn = r745401, (Feb 18 2009), Windows/ia32/msvc 1310, release build
http://harmony.apache.org.
but there is still no vm version info.

I suggest our java launcher should not pass -version or other non-standarad
options  to vm interface JNI_CreateJavaVM(), instead we should make a
general solution to deal with them, maybe call certain methods in jre tool
package. so that  our java laucher can work well on different vms.