harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Fedotov <alexei.fedo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Google Summer of Code 2009
Date Tue, 17 Mar 2009 15:19:09 GMT
Ian,

The project is great. But you hardly get the student to handle the
whole scope correctly. Programming and reconciling simple things like
loggers or portability libraries requires more experience, than
programming functional specs or complex algorithms, because it is a
matter of convenience and conventions at the first place.

Defining a smaller scope with conventional open standards as a base
for reconciling would be a big plus.

Thanks!

2009/3/17 Ian Rogers <ian.rogers@manchester.ac.uk>:
> [...]
>> mentor for two or three projects (normally just one is allowed) but
>> not for many more.
>>
>> Looking at the Wiki I think it's just Andrew's project so far ("Extend
>> VMTT") that needs a surrogate or co-mentor if there are any willing
>> committers.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Sian
>

> I'd like to propose the project below as I believe it could have helped me
> recently. Last year I was a potential co-mentor for a Harmony project that
> wasn't selected. If people are happy I'd like to list this project on the
> wiki and get a committer (or committers) to also help with the mentoring.
>
> Regards,
> Ian
>
> || '''Subject ID''' || ''harmony-portlib'' ||
> || '''Title''' || '''Reconcile Apache Harmony portlib and the Apache
> Portable Runtime''' ||
> || '''ASF Project''' || Apache Harmony http://harmony.apache.org ||
> || '''Keywords''' || Harmony, APR||
> || '''Description''' || To enable the Harmony class library to be easily
> ported to new platforms a portability library exists. By replacing
> components in the portability library a VM may integrate with the Harmony
> libraries. Alternatively a VM may use and build on the portability library
> with Harmony. No current VM builds on top of just the portability library.
> The IBM VMs use bespoke OS integration, DRLVM uses this and the Apache
> Portable Runtime (APR), Jikes RVM uses the Harmony portability library and
> limited bespoke OS integration. The Apache Portable Runtime differs from the
> Harmony portability library in that virtual memory functions are exposed via
> mmap/munmap/mprotect rather than reserve/free/commit/decommit and also
> memory pools are used to isolate use of the heap. The Harmony portability
> library used to, but no longer, provides a portable signal handling
> mechanism.
> This project will reconcile the Harmony portability library and the Apache
> Portable Runtime. One option is to recode the Harmony portability library
> entirely using the APR, adding support for signal handling whilst also
> adding support to APR for a different means of managing virtual memory.
> Ideally multiple open source Harmony VMs can be tested with this portability
> layer such as DRLVM and Jikes RVM.||
> || '''Possible Mentors''' || Ian Rogers ||
> || '''Status''' || Unassigned ||
>

>> 2009/3/17 Alexei Fedotov <alexei.fedotov@gmail.com>:
>> > I like GSoC tasks from Sean and Andrew.
>> >
>> > Jimmy,
>> > Can you provide a sort of analysis of your tasks? Are there any open
>> > source automatic translation tools? How a web updater relates to NSIS
>> > and Java WebStart? Is there any relation between your multi-vm and
>> > isolation API? What is in a smallest class set except -verbose:class?
>> > Please, provide more motivation.
>> >
>> > As one of Apache gurus said, "You want start a new open source project?

to this include:

applications.
>> (Android
>> and