harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Fedotov <alexei.fedo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: The state of signal portability
Date Fri, 06 Mar 2009 17:31:16 GMT
Ian,

1.
> Is there any consensus that the portlib should be rewritten to use the APR?
I don't think this will ever happen.

To my understanding limited APR (without APR-util  and APR-iconv) has
better strategic potential to mature. As for portlib, it has few very
good findings like the type system but lacks the community. An
important thing which can be guessed about the portlib is its design
allows one to plug in runtime an optimized implementation instead of
the open source one, hence this may be a reason why most project
contributors want to base our class library on portlib API rather than
directly on APR.

2.
OS memory allocation routines are designed to tolerate each other. So
the wrappers do. Memory pools are built on the top of a standard
malloc. Though one should learn synchronization and de-allocation
peculiarities of different constructs to use each of them correctly.

Thanks!

--
С уважением,
Алексей Федотов,