harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Ian Rogers <ian.rog...@manchester.ac.uk>
Subject Re: Google Summer of Code 2009
Date Tue, 17 Mar 2009 15:41:01 GMT
2009/3/17 Alexei Fedotov <alexei.fedotov@gmail.com>

> Ian,
>
> The project is great. But you hardly get the student to handle the
> whole scope correctly. Programming and reconciling simple things like
> loggers or portability libraries requires more experience, than
> programming functional specs or complex algorithms, because it is a
> matter of convenience and conventions at the first place.
>
> Defining a smaller scope with conventional open standards as a base
> for reconciling would be a big plus.
>
> Thanks!

Hi Alexei,

thanks for the positive input. What I'd like to see is a project where we
can sort out the problems I recently had and still am having in trying to
have a portable and compatible runtime environment with Harmony. I agree
that experience is important. When I asked people for their experiences
porting Harmony I got a number of different replies and solutions. In
general though the portability library wasn't completely doing its job and
DRLVM and IBM had different solutions to this. As DRLVM is open source I
believe it should be come an examplar for porting Harmony and the class
library adapted to follow this.

Looking at concrete things a student could work on, they could work on
porting the current class library to use APR and where APR isn't enough of a
fit, extending the scope of APR. This would lead to patches against the
class library and against APR. The goal would be to have an examplar way of
implementing portability with Harmony.

As the student is essentially adapting and refactoring existing code, I
don't think this should be too burdensome for a talented student. I think
the biggest problem is getting the communication right with the project and
agreeing how portability with Harmony should be tackled. I, however, still
need a committer to back this up :-)

Regards,
Ian

> 2009/3/17 Ian Rogers <ian.rogers@manchester.ac.uk>:
> > 2009/3/17 Sian January <sianjanuary@googlemail.com>
> >
> >> It's probably worth mentioning at this point that the 'official'
> >> mentor for each project needs to be a Harmony committer even if
> >> someone else is going to be doing the mentoring - I think this is
> >> either a Google or Apache rule.  If you're acting as a surrogate for
> >> someone else then you would probably be allowed to be the official
> >> mentor for two or three projects (normally just one is allowed) but
> >> not for many more.
> >>
> >> Looking at the Wiki I think it's just Andrew's project so far ("Extend
> >> VMTT") that needs a surrogate or co-mentor if there are any willing
> >> committers.
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >>
> >> Sian
> >

> > I'd like to propose the project below as I believe it could have helped
> me
> > recently. Last year I was a potential co-mentor for a Harmony project
> that
> > wasn't selected. If people are happy I'd like to list this project on the
> > wiki and get a committer (or committers) to also help with the mentoring.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Ian
> >
> > || '''Subject ID''' || ''harmony-portlib'' ||
> > Portable Runtime''' ||
> > || '''ASF Project''' || Apache Harmony http://harmony.apache.org ||
> > || '''Keywords''' || Harmony, APR||
> > ported to new platforms a portability library exists. By replacing
> > components in the portability library a VM may integrate with the Harmony
> > libraries. Alternatively a VM may use and build on the portability
> library
> > with Harmony. No current VM builds on top of just the portability
> library.
> > The IBM VMs use bespoke OS integration, DRLVM uses this and the Apache
> > Portable Runtime (APR), Jikes RVM uses the Harmony portability library
> and
> > limited bespoke OS integration. The Apache Portable Runtime differs from
> the
> > Harmony portability library in that virtual memory functions are exposed
> via
> > mmap/munmap/mprotect rather than reserve/free/commit/decommit and also
> > memory pools are used to isolate use of the heap. The Harmony portability
> > library used to, but no longer, provides a portable signal handling
> > mechanism.
> > This project will reconcile the Harmony portability library and the
> Apache
> > Portable Runtime. One option is to recode the Harmony portability library
> > entirely using the APR, adding support for signal handling whilst also
> > adding support to APR for a different means of managing virtual memory.
> > Ideally multiple open source Harmony VMs can be tested with this
> portability
> > layer such as DRLVM and Jikes RVM.||
> > || '''Possible Mentors''' || Ian Rogers ||
> [...]
Wiki

Li wrote:
> [...]
to this include:

Android applications.