harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Ian Rogers <ian.rog...@manchester.ac.uk>
Subject Re: Google Summer of Code 2009
Date Tue, 17 Mar 2009 13:34:52 GMT
2009/3/17 Sian January <sianjanuary@googlemail.com>

> It's probably worth mentioning at this point that the 'official'
> mentor for each project needs to be a Harmony committer even if
> someone else is going to be doing the mentoring - I think this is
> either a Google or Apache rule.  If you're acting as a surrogate for
> someone else then you would probably be allowed to be the official
> mentor for two or three projects (normally just one is allowed) but
> not for many more.
>
> Looking at the Wiki I think it's just Andrew's project so far ("Extend
> VMTT") that needs a surrogate or co-mentor if there are any willing
> committers.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Sian

I'd like to propose the project below as I believe it could have helped me
recently. Last year I was a potential co-mentor for a Harmony project that
wasn't selected. If people are happy I'd like to list this project on the
wiki and get a committer (or committers) to also help with the mentoring.

Regards,
Ian

|| '''Subject ID''' || ''harmony-portlib'' ||
|| '''Title''' || '''Reconcile Apache Harmony portlib and the Apache
Portable Runtime''' ||
|| '''ASF Project''' || Apache Harmony http://harmony.apache.org ||
|| '''Keywords''' || Harmony, APR||
|| '''Description''' || To enable the Harmony class library to be easily
ported to new platforms a portability library exists. By replacing
components in the portability library a VM may integrate with the Harmony
libraries. Alternatively a VM may use and build on the portability library
with Harmony. No current VM builds on top of just the portability library.
The IBM VMs use bespoke OS integration, DRLVM uses this and the Apache
Portable Runtime (APR), Jikes RVM uses the Harmony portability library and
limited bespoke OS integration. The Apache Portable Runtime differs from the
Harmony portability library in that virtual memory functions are exposed via
mmap/munmap/mprotect rather than reserve/free/commit/decommit and also
memory pools are used to isolate use of the heap. The Harmony portability
library used to, but no longer, provides a portable signal handling
mechanism.
This project will reconcile the Harmony portability library and the Apache
Portable Runtime. One option is to recode the Harmony portability library
entirely using the APR, adding support for signal handling whilst also
adding support to APR for a different means of managing virtual memory.
Ideally multiple open source Harmony VMs can be tested with this portability
layer such as DRLVM and Jikes RVM.||
|| '''Possible Mentors''' || Ian Rogers ||
|| '''Status''' || Unassigned ||

> 2009/3/17 Alexei Fedotov <alexei.fedotov@gmail.com>:
> > I like GSoC tasks from Sean and Andrew.
> >
> > Jimmy,
> > Can you provide a sort of analysis of your tasks? Are there any open
> > source automatic translation tools? How a web updater relates to NSIS
> > and Java WebStart? Is there any relation between your multi-vm and
> > isolation API? What is in a smallest class set except -verbose:class?
> > Please, provide more motivation.
> >
> > As one of Apache gurus said, "You want start a new open source project?
> Don't."
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > On Tue, Mar 17, 2009 at 2:44 PM, Jimmy,Jing Lv <firepure@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >>    I've added 4 proposal there. Looking for
> discussions/suggestions/comments :)

> instead of
> constant

> (Android