harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Xiao-Feng Li <xiaofeng...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Google Summer of Code 2009
Date Thu, 05 Mar 2009 00:03:18 GMT
On Wed, Mar 4, 2009 at 10:43 PM, Egor Pasko <egor.pasko@gmail.com> wrote:
> On the 0x56A day of Apache Harmony Xiao-Feng Li wrote:

>>> Do you mean replacing Dalvik on top of the Android stack or making a
>>> system that works on a common desktop?
>>
>> Something like that... :)  At the moment I prefer the second approach:
>> to make Harmony ready for Android applications on desktop. The first
>> approach probably should be a project of Google Android.
>
> sounds like a nice idea :) though I cannot imagine how much work is
> required to make this happen..

Yes, there are lots of work in it. Well only when somebody really
starts thinking about it,  can we gradually get some good solution. To
replace Dalvik with Harmony in Android stack might be easier. In any
case, it requires to run Android on top of a desktop OS, with full
libc and utils, because that's Harmony needs. That's why I have the
second project idea, to reduce Harmony into a very concise version
that requires only minimum OS supports, as minimum as Android
requires. :)

Thanks,
xiaofeng

--
Managed Runtime Technology Center, Intel