harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Jimmy,Jing Lv" <firep...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Google Summer of Code 2009
Date Tue, 24 Mar 2009 06:25:47 GMT
Thanks Sian! Will follow the instructions.

2009/3/23 Sian January <sianjanuary@googlemail.com>:
> Hi Jimmy,
>
> It's the students that are selected rather than the projects.  Each
> student applies to one or more projects then their applications are
> ranked and the top N (30?) get through.  Of course they can't go
> through without a mentor who is willing to mentor them, so we
> shouldn't let one mentor propose 10 projects for example as that would
> be unfair to the students when they can only mentor 1.
>
> Ranking is likely to be based on:
>
> - A well written and well planned application
> - Involvement with the community (e.g. discussions on the Harmony
> mailing list and contributing a patch is ideal)
> - Technical knowledge related to the project
> - Communication
> - Past experience with an open source project
> - Time available to work on the project
>
> As a mentor you can help your project to be chosen by writing the
> description as well as possible and making it sound interesting so
> that it attracts lots of applications, but ultimately it's about the
> students so there's only so much you can do.
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> Sian
>

> 2009/3/23 Jimmy,Jing Lv <firepure@gmail.com>:
>> Hi,
>>
>>     Sian, I see some students here are interested in attending the
>> GSoC, especially Apache Harmony projects. However as I see there are
>> so many projects now [1] , over 30 without current Harmony Projects,
>> so maybe some projects will not be selected .
>>     Do you know the criteria that Apache choose the projects? If the
>> student tries to attend the project but the project fails to be chosen
>> as one of the GSoC project, what will be a waste of time, so I hope I
>> can help them to choose the project correctly. Do you have some ideas?
>> Thanks in advance.
>>
>> [1] http://wiki.apache.org/general/SummerOfCode2009
>>
>> 2009/3/19 Sian January <sianjanuary@googlemail.com>:
>>> Sounds sensible - I'm happy to have a quick read through next week
>>> after everyone has finished writing their descriptions.

Harmony

I've got a
Felix can

Why one would

Yes, I truly
For OSGi, one

I make the
I will enrich the

was not focus on the
tool, what's more,
be titled with

the requirement of
the classes with
classes will be only

Harmony JDK with
modules are already

Are there any open
updater relates to NSIS
except -verbose:class?

a new open source project? Don't."

<firepure@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
for discussions/suggestions/comments :)

their ideas up on the Wiki -
is a deadline.

:label or something like that, instead of
if so could we use their format?)
tableswitch/lookupswitch
entries without subsequent constant
data at other places (eg constant pool)

at 6:46 PM, Egor Pasko <egor.pasko@gmail.com>
Project ideas related to this include:

Harmony support Google Android applications. (Android
be much faster with the much more powerful JIT and

Dalvik on top of the Android stack or making a
on a common desktop?

:)  At the moment I prefer the second approach:
for Android applications on desktop. The first
be a project of Google Android.

:) though I cannot imagine how much work is

it. Well only when somebody really
we gradually get some good solution. To
Android stack might be easier. In any
on top of a desktop OS, with full
Harmony needs. That's why I have the
Harmony into a very concise version
supports, as minimum as Android

Intel

in England and Wales with number 741598.
Portsmouth, Hampshire PO6 3AU