harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Jimmy,Jing Lv" <firep...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Google Summer of Code 2009
Date Wed, 18 Mar 2009 08:25:58 GMT
Hi Alexier,

     Let me explain a little more. Basically, the motivation comes
from the requirement of the Apache Harmony Projects.

1. the requirement of the localized messages
    Indeed we are lack of them, and we need them for customer use.
However we see there's no resource, no translation team for Harmony
Project to do this. And of course for GSoC, it is impossible for it to
support a project simply translate the message. But an automatic tool
sounds reasonable.
    Technically, yes we have eclipse or some other tools to extract
the String, but I don't see there's a full tool, automatically extract
the messages, analysis if necessary to translate, translate and
adjust, and at last inject into the source code with ResourceBundle or
property loading mechanism and apply the localization.
    This, I believe, is a Win-Win project, help the Harmony project to
be localized, as well as help student to train their skill, thus
sounds acceptable for GSoC. If some other project will use it, that'll
be a plus.

2. the new feature of Apache Harmony project
a. the requirement of the smallest jre,
     Yes I see FreeCiv - an amazing project. However as we see, not
all project get to know if the jre can be customized, and not all
customer know how to customize the jre. It may be an amazing tool for
Harmony than Sun, help the customers to make up his smallest jre
according his own project, which help them to make their program
download size to be smallest. Do you think it'll be a nice feature for
Harmony to our customers?

b. the OSGi/updater
     OSGi is hot and Apache Harmony has already make its modules
bundle. I've heard of many java developers believe if the jdk can
adopt OSGi is helpful. It will help some project to be OSGi without
apply OSGi module on their projects. And what's more, yes I've got a
little investigation on this topic as well, it seems Apache Felix can
be applied on Harmony with a few lines changed and a few new methods
enhanced on vm, and then start well, And eclipse Equinox looks
adaptable as well. If we can go a little further, it may make the
Harmony Project to be the first OSGi-ed JDK on the world - cool and
attractive to the potential customers, isn't it? If so we can apply a
update mechanism for Harmony easily.

     Yes I see the new features are beyond the Spec, I think it's OK
if we want to excel Sun's implementation and attract more customers.
Do you think the motivation is acceptable? Is there any technical
fault on these topics?

wrote:
> [...]
this include:

applications. (Android