harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Jimmy,Jing Lv" <firep...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Google Summer of Code 2009
Date Wed, 18 Mar 2009 06:11:34 GMT
Hi,

     Thanks Alexei for your suggestion! Sorry maybe I make the
abstract on the wiki too short to be understandable, I will enrich the
information of the project motivation.

     The translation tools as I mentioned there, was not focus on the
translation(as we know there's so many translation tools) but the
automatic fetching/injecting mechanism of the open source project
localizable messages. The first motivation was that we Harmony Project
lack those messages compared to Sun's implementation thus was not
friendly to our users. However think deeper we see many open source
projects suffer the similar problem. So the tools was planned to
automatically help Harmony the message with this tool, what's more,
may help some other open source project, especially java projects. So
I believe this is still closely related to Harmony and is a
requirement of the project(not sure if it should be titled with
"Harmony-tool-5"?)

     The other projects are similar, comes from the requirement of
harmony project and customers requirements. Currently the Harmony
project lack a automatic updater, NSIS offer only windows installation
tool. The basic idea was simple, create a version checker/updater for
Harmony. The smallest classes selector focus on customized-harmony-jre
which may be friendly to customer usage, to find the classes with
-verbose was easy(but still may not be enough, as we don't really know
if the current set cover all classes, maybe some classes will be only
load at some special case), but the problem we want to solve is the
automatic select/build/test/packet for customer application with a
full but smallest JRE, which may be valuable to customer (e.g, eclipse
does not need to customize our jre with much effort).

     I don't think they can be called as "new open source project",
just some tool set for harmony. What do you think?

     There's another thought, we may enable Apache Harmony JDK with
OSGi feature. Yes it was beyond the spec, however it seems valuable if
we find out a light way, at least we see Harmony modules are already
bundled.

2009/3/17 Alexei Fedotov <alexei.fedotov@gmail.com>:
> I like GSoC tasks from Sean and Andrew.
>
> Jimmy,
> Can you provide a sort of analysis of your tasks? Are there any open
> source automatic translation tools? How a web updater relates to NSIS
> and Java WebStart? Is there any relation between your multi-vm and
> isolation API? What is in a smallest class set except -verbose:class?
> Please, provide more motivation.
>
> As one of Apache gurus said, "You want start a new open source project? Don't."
>
> Thanks!
>
> On Tue, Mar 17, 2009 at 2:44 PM, Jimmy,Jing Lv <firepure@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>>    I've added 4 proposal there. Looking for discussions/suggestions/comments :)
>>
>> 2009/3/16 Sian January <sianjanuary@googlemail.com>:
>>> Just wanted to encourage people to write their ideas up on the Wiki -
>>> only Oliver has done it so far and there is a deadline.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Sian

(Android