harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Ackermann <a...@student.ethz.ch>
Subject [GSoC] proguard for Harmony class selector?
Date Mon, 30 Mar 2009 09:57:50 GMT
Hi,

The first time I read the idea, I had to think of proguard which does
something similar. But I am not sure about license issues, proguard is
under GPL v2, but it has some exceptions for certain projects:
If you develop a program that is linked with *ProGuard*, the program as
a whole has to be distributed at no charge under the GPL. I am granting
a special exception <http://proguard.sourceforge.net/GPL_exception.html>
to the latter clause (in wording suggested by the FSF
<http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl-faq.html#GPLIncompatibleLibs>), for
combinations with the following stand-alone applications: Apache Ant,
Apache Maven, the EclipseME JME IDE, the Sun NetBeans Java IDE, the Sun
JME Wireless Toolkit, and the Javaground Tools.

(http://proguard.sourceforge.net/license.html)

Would it be legally possible to use proguard for this task if such an
exception would be granted for Apache Harmony too? This would possibly
greatly ease development of this task.

Regards,
Stefan Ackermann