harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Oliver Deakin <oliver.dea...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: Google summer of code 2009 - Tools project
Date Wed, 18 Mar 2009 10:58:48 GMT
Hi Manju,

Welcome to the project! Great to hear you're interested in jdb.

Yes, as you have noted in your other mail, we have an implementation of
jdwp under the jpda source folder. This is a native code implementation
of the jdwp standard, and covers most of it's features. We also use the
Eclipse JDI (Java Debugging Interface) to provide Java debugging hooks,
which I believe is packaged up into our tools.jar at build time. I would
personally recommend using JDI  to implement the debug functionality of
jdb, as it provides a well spec'ed [1] Java API for you to use, will
allow you to create platform portable Java code for the debugger and
should also plug easily into our existing launcher (so creating a jdb
executable should be very simple).

To begin with I would recommend looking at the JDI spec - it should
provide everything you require API-wise (it's what Eclipse uses for
debug :) ), and will be a good starting point for you to think about
implementation of the tool.

Regards,
Oliver

[1] http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/technotes/guides/jpda/index.html