harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Regis <xu.re...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Google Summer of Code 2009
Date Tue, 03 Mar 2009 17:42:48 GMT
Sian January wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> Do we want to propose any projects for Google Summer of Code 2009?  It
> was quite successful last year for Harmony, with two students
> completing the programme, so definitely worth doing in my opinion.
>
> http://code.google.com/soc/
>
> Thanks,
>
> Sian

Hi,

I'm thinking about a feature "java daemon", just like "emacs --daemon".
After a jvm is started by "java -daemon", other java applications could
attach to the daemon jvm by "java -attach ...". One deamon java could
run multiple java applications without disturbs, just like running in
separated jvms. We can get some benefits from this:

* Quick startup
Jvm only start once, we also could use some simple code to initialize
the most used classes. So start app just need load app's own classes,
that would improve user experience, especially on desktop.

* Smaller footprint
All jvm data structure and bootstrap classes could be shared by all
apps. I'm curious how much memory could be saved if i ran two eclipses
in one jvm. Even more, if app's classes could be also shared? We could
say "I want to share all org.eclipse classes between apps".

* Saving warming-up time
JIT has enough time to warming-up and compiling methods at the idle
time. Since bootstrap classes are shared, methods in these classes only
need to be compiled once.

* Sharing data between applications?
I'm not sure this is useful, but maybe the hardest to achieve.

For students, it's easy to start, maybe a java/native agent could
fulfill the most of requirements, but it's hard to be perfect: total
transparency for apps. Static fields, threads, classloaders, security
(is it possible running Applet and normal java applications in the same
jvm?)..., lots of things need to be considered.

Any comments/suggestions?

--
Best Regards,
Regis.