harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Deven You <devyo...@gmail.com>
Subject [classlib][luni] Performance improvement patch for java.text.DateFormatSymbols.DateFormatSymbols(Locale)
Date Wed, 18 Feb 2009 05:43:53 GMT
Hi,
I have raised a jira HARMONY-6095 for improving java.text.DateFormatSymbols
performance. I found  DateFormatSymbols(Locale) will invoke
com.ibm.icu.text.DateFormatSymbols.getZoneStrings() which can take
significant time but rarely used in real world applications. So I delay this
call until it really be used. it seems the performance of
DateFormatSymbols(Locale)  can be greatly improved.*
*the testcase is:

import java.text.DateFormatSymbols;
import java.util.Locale;

public class TestDateFormatSymbols {

    /**
     * @param args
     */
        long time = System.currentTimeMillis();
        DateFormatSymbols dfs = new DateFormatSymbols(Locale.getDefault());
        time = System.currentTimeMillis() - time;

        System.out.println("the total time is " + time + " ms!");
    }

}

I have tested  on Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo Cpu 2.4GHZ, 2.98GB Memory machine,
the result is as below:
Harmony patch before: 1125 ms
  Harmony patched: 78 ms