harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Pavel Pervov <pmcfi...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Hello Pavel, inquiring about Harmony bug 5505
Date Wed, 18 Feb 2009 21:23:30 GMT
Bert,

I still strongly recommend writing to Apache Harmony developers list -
you'd get wider audience and better support. This is the most correct
way of asking questions in the Open Source communities too. I'm the
one of the Harmony community but I'm not the only one.

Getting back to the problem you are trying to solve.

Every implementation may have resource leaks. The only way you can try
to make sure you have "no leaks" is executing java as a separate
process - this way you make OS responsible for freeing most of
resources associated with the process. You can write standalone java
program which asks your radar to generates images as many times per a
time intreval as you may need and have it communicate by the means of
IPC with your C++ code. Then you can command your java program to
restart as soon as you detect any problem you decide is critical
for stability (in your example, some network problems) or after some
time interval elapses. This will bring you to ~100% reliability of
your system.

Well, the patch was never finished, but if you dare to complete it
yourself - the revision it was made against is 638258 as it can be
seen from the patch itself.

Hope to see you on the list.

Pavel.