harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Hindess <mark.hind...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: Google Summer of Code 2009
Date Fri, 27 Feb 2009 09:14:08 GMT

In message <fc2fc95c0902230906k50896634tfc45df549348c690@mail.gmail.com>,
Sian January writes:

> Hi everyone,
>
> Do we want to propose any projects for Google Summer of Code 2009?  It
> was quite successful last year for Harmony, with two students
> completing the programme, so definitely worth doing in my opinion.
>
> http://code.google.com/soc/
>
> Thanks,
> Sian

I've a couple of items on my todo list that might make an interesting
GSoC project.  While looking at file descriptor usage between Harmony
and RI I noticed that the RI typically reads jar files with an
open/mmap/close sequence and then uses the mapped memory to access the
file.  Harmony uses open and uses seek/read to access the file.  There
are a couple of issues here:

  * some applications that use lots of jar files will not work on Harmony
    because they will run out of file descriptors even though they will
    work on the RI

  * code with memory access rather than seek/read will be a lots simpler
    to read/maintain

  * what are the performance implications?

I'd quite like to investigate this but don't seem to be finding the time.

It might also be interesting to explore the possibility of exploiting
parallelism (compare gzip/pigz).

It might also be worth seeing if there is any performance benefit to using
the inflateBack api (compare gzip/gun - gun is in the zlib source examples
directory).

If people think these ideas are concrete enough to explore then I'll add
an item to the wiki.

Regards,
 Mark.