harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Jimmy,Jing Lv" <firep...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Google Summer of Code 2009
Date Wed, 25 Feb 2009 14:05:20 GMT
Hi,

     A simple thought. As I see Apache Harmony is designed as an
internationalization jdk (we have nls package in all modules) but up
to now there's no localized messages. This may be valuable to the
customers as well. So we can call for volunteers for this work.
     I doubt if the simple translation work can be acceptable to the
Google Code, however we can find a way out making it automaticly or
more simple, e.g, build a mashup program with translation website etc,
 then it may be valuable to open source projects, as well as all
apache projects?
     I will record it in the wiki.

2009/2/24 Sian January <sianjanuary@googlemail.com>:
> I've added a new Wiki page[1] for us to add our proposals, and I
> copied one from 2008 so that everyone can see the right format as
> they'll need to be transferred to the ASF website at some point.  I
> haven't copied all the 2008 projects[2] as I don't know which are
> still relevant.
>
> Please feel free to add proposals to the list and copy the relevant
> ones from 2008 and we also need people to sign up to mentor projects.
> It would be good to get an idea of the number of people available to
> mentor as early as possible because last year the ASF didn't ask
> Google for enough slots, so we were in the position where we had
> people willing to mentor who couldn't.
>
> This may be obvious, but where the project description is quite wide
> like "implement a jdk tool" it's fine to have several mentors listed
> because if we get more than one good student application then we can
> run more than one project.  You can also list yourself as the mentor
> for more than one project, but you will generally only be allowed one
> student so you will have to choose between projects at some point.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Sian
>

> [1] http://wiki.apache.org/harmony/Google_Summer_Of_Code_2009_Projects_Proposals
>
> [2] http://wiki.apache.org/harmony/Google_Summer_Of_Code_2008_Projects_Proposals
>

> 2009/2/24 Alexei Fedotov <alexei.fedotov@gmail.com>:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Since most of the tasks from the last year were not complete (or even
>> taken), they could be a good start unless we define better ones [1].
>> The tasks should be adjusted, so we won't repeat last year result.
>>
>> RTF parser implementation was the task of a proper level of
>> modularity. Contrary, drag & drop swing implementation (or any other
>> deep swing immersion) currently seems an overkill to me.
>>
>> I also like tools. There are plenty of tools [2] in JDK 6 we don't
>> have, and they are very modular to learn.
>> Thanks.
>>
>> [1] http://markmail.org/thread/qvu2ikotnlg26s2f
>> [2] http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/technotes/tools/index.html
>>
>> On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 7:17 AM, Nathan Beyer <ndbeyer@apache.org> wrote:

 It

PO6 3AU

>>> Because it's fun. :)
>>>
>>> Are any under an ALv2 compatible license that we can package?

>> --
>> С уважением,
>> Алексей Федотов,
>> http://people.apache.org/~aaf/