harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Oliver Deakin <oliver.dea...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: Google Summer of Code 2009
Date Wed, 25 Feb 2009 10:22:56 GMT
Im particularly interested in the jdb (command line Java debugger) tool
and would like to mentor someone to write a version of it for Harmony.
Should I add this as a separate specific project on the wiki
(harmony-tools-2), or just pop my name under the more general
harmony-tools-1? (Id also be interested in mentoring other tools
projects where I feel I can contribute...)

Regards,
Oliver

Sian January wrote:
> I've added a new Wiki page[1] for us to add our proposals, and I
> copied one from 2008 so that everyone can see the right format as
> they'll need to be transferred to the ASF website at some point.  I
> haven't copied all the 2008 projects[2] as I don't know which are
> still relevant.
>
> Please feel free to add proposals to the list and copy the relevant
> ones from 2008 and we also need people to sign up to mentor projects.
> It would be good to get an idea of the number of people available to
> mentor as early as possible because last year the ASF didn't ask
> Google for enough slots, so we were in the position where we had
> people willing to mentor who couldn't.
>
> This may be obvious, but where the project description is quite wide
> like "implement a jdk tool" it's fine to have several mentors listed
> because if we get more than one good student application then we can
> run more than one project.  You can also list yourself as the mentor
> for more than one project, but you will generally only be allowed one
> student so you will have to choose between projects at some point.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Sian
>

> [1] http://wiki.apache.org/harmony/Google_Summer_Of_Code_2009_Projects_Proposals
>
> [2] http://wiki.apache.org/harmony/Google_Summer_Of_Code_2008_Projects_Proposals
>

> 2009/2/24 Alexei Fedotov <alexei.fedotov@gmail.com>:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Since most of the tasks from the last year were not complete (or even
>> taken), they could be a good start unless we define better ones [1].
>> The tasks should be adjusted, so we won't repeat last year result.
>>
>> RTF parser implementation was the task of a proper level of
>> modularity. Contrary, drag & drop swing implementation (or any other
>> deep swing immersion) currently seems an overkill to me.
>>
>> I also like tools. There are plenty of tools [2] in JDK 6 we don't
>> have, and they are very modular to learn.
>> Thanks.
>>
>> [1] http://markmail.org/thread/qvu2ikotnlg26s2f
>> [2] http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/technotes/tools/index.html
>>
>> On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 7:17 AM, Nathan Beyer <ndbeyer@apache.org> wrote: