harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Regis <xu.re...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [classlib][luni] ServerSocketTest.test_setReuseAddressZ() faild on Linux
Date Fri, 13 Feb 2009 07:06:25 GMT
Jim Yu wrote:
> 2009/2/12 Regis <xu.regis@gmail.com>
>
>> Jim Yu wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Regis,
>>> I reproduced this failure on my Linux platform. Since the specs
>>> says SO_REUSEADDR  "is used only
>>> for MulticastSockets in java, and it is set by default for
>>> MulticastSockets." So as you said, the default value
>>>
>> I can't find this statement in specs. And at:
>

> You can find the statement in the spec from the description for SO_REUSEADDR
> field of SocketOptions. .
>

>> http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/api/java/net/ServerSocket.html#setReuseAddress(boolean)
>>
>> it says "Enabling SO_REUSEADDR prior to binding the socket using
>> bind(SocketAddress) allows the socket to be bound even though a previous
>> connection is in a timeout state. " and it really affect behaviors of bind.
>

>>  for SO_REUSEADDR in ServerSocket which is not defined is reasonable. IMO,
>>> it
>>> is a non-bug difference between
>>> Harmony and RI.
>>>
>> I incline to follow RI. Because there are already lots of code depends on
>> RI's behaviors: create a new ServerSocket which reuse address default, no
>> need to set it explicit.
>>
>> If Harmony set the default value to false, many applications may not be
>> able to bind address correctly.
>

> The spec says "the initial setting of SO_REUSEADDR is not defined."
> However, it sounds reasonable to follow RI.
>

>>> 2009/1/23 Regis <xu.regis@gmail.com>
>>>
>>>  did anyone notice the failures on linux? or it just happen on my local

>> --
>> Best Regards,
>> Regis.

I attach a patch for this issue. It test the platform and set
SO_REUSEADDR after ServerSocket created if on Linux.

I don't like this way, because it contains platform depended code in
java code, and I think it's better to do this in native. But
ServerSocket and Socket use the same native method to create socket fd,
we can't know the caller is ServerSocket or Socket.

Do anyone has better ideas?

--
Best Regards,
Regis.