harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Hindess <mark.hind...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: about upgrade icu4j 3.8 to icu4j 4.0
Date Tue, 24 Feb 2009 11:01:35 GMT

In message <efe92bae0902200123p77037a46s965966c262c50ce8@mail.gmail.com>,
Deven You writes:

> Hi,
> I have tried to upgrade icu4j3.8 to icu4j4.0 for  classlib trunk on my
> machine, below is the instructions for this upgrade:
> 1. download  icu4j-4_0.jar and icu4j-charsets-4_0.jar from ICU official
> website http://icu-project.org/download/4.0.html
> 2. create icu4j_4.0 folder in trunk/depends/jars, copy icu4j-4_0.jar and
> icu4j-charsets-4_0.jar into icu4j_4.0 folder
> 3. create icu4j_4.0 folder in trunk/depends/manifests, copy META-INF foledr
> from icu4j_3.8 and use version 4.0 replace 3.8 in the MANIFEST.MF  file.
> 4. apply configuration patch[1] for icu4.0 to change some configuration
> settings.
> 5.  apply nio Charset patch[2] to avoid circular dependency error, if no
> this patch,  nio_char unit test will report many circular dependency
> error[3]
>
> I think maybe now we can upgrade icu4j 3.8 to icu4j 4.0.
> any issues welcom to discuss!
>
> [1]
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12400589/config_icu40.diff
> [2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12400590/Charset.diff
> [3]
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12400591/nio_char_errors.txt

Seems like a good idea.  I'll try to find a moment to test this.

What are the benefits we get from this upgrade?  Performance?  Footprint?

In case it helps anyone else, the JIRA with these attachments is:

(I don't think there is an easy way to get from attachment links back to the
jira link?)

Regards,
-Mark.