harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Xiao-Feng Li" <xiaofeng...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [general] features
Date Wed, 07 Jan 2009 00:37:52 GMT
Rui, thanks for your interests in Harmony. My personal opinions are
inlined below.

On Wed, Jan 7, 2009 at 12:39 AM, Rui Chu <rchu@nudt.edu.cn> wrote:
> Hi,
> I am a new comer of JVM and Harmony. Since I have just learnt Harmony for a few time,
I wonder whether Harmony(especially the VM) has implemented or has been interested in the
features as follows.
> 1. SUN has proposed Java Isolation for a long while, and related specifications have
also been released. Unfortunately I cannot find any support for it in SUN JVM till now. Has
Harmony implemented or planned to do that? Or maybe SUN has implemented but I do not know
it yet.

[XF] I personally don't really see the needs to implement Isolation in
Harmony. But it is welcomed if anybody wants to have a try and I'd
like to help. I had some experience in it.

> 2. Does SUN JVM or Harmony support to suspend, serialize and resume the JVM? In other
words, a JVM can suspend the execution of itself and bytecodes, transfer the execution status
into an image file and resume it later. Assuming the external environments such as file system
or network connection still keeps.

[XF] If I understand you correctly, the feature you described is the
fundamental feature of a JVM for garbage collection and exception
throwing. So all serious JVMs have it.

> 3. Does the sandbox support appear as an independent project, or has been integrated
in Harmony? Where can I find more documents about the sandbox in Harmony?

[XF] I am not sure what you mean with sandbox. If you mean Applet
support, yes, Harmony has it (almost done).

> In general, I want to know whether Harmony planned to be another (open source) implementation
of SUN JVM, or has its special features beyond the latter? I am not familiar with both SUN
JVM and Harmony, so my question may be naive :)  Your kind and patient answers are appreciated.

[XF] Please read some documents on Apache Harmony in its website. That
will help you to have a basic understanding. Harmony is an open source
Java SE implementation under Apache license. I personally think
Harmony wants to be compatible at first, and might have some special
features.

Thanks,
xiaofeng

--
Managed Runtime Technology Center, Intel