harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Xiao-Feng Li" <xiaofeng...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [class loading] what's the expected behavior when a static method is invoked before its class is initialized?
Date Mon, 05 Jan 2009 06:44:38 GMT
On Mon, Jan 5, 2009 at 1:10 PM, Nathan Beyer <ndbeyer@apache.org> wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 4, 2009 at 10:08 PM, Xiao-Feng Li <xiaofeng.li@gmail.com> wrote:

>>>  Hi Nathan,
>>>
>>> from reading the description I can describe how Jikes RVM avoids this
>>> problem (I'm not an IBM VME expert and I've not run the test case to check
>>> that Jikes RVM passes it). In Jikes RVM we have two variants of all calls,
>>> ones to unresolved methods and ones to resolved methods. Unresolved calls
>>> are to classes whose initializer hasn't yet been run. If two threads are
>>> calling a static method the first will resolve it and in the process acquire
>>> a lock, the second thread must wait for the lock before it can attempt to
>>> resolve the method (at which point it will discover the method was resolved
>>> by the other thread and leave early). Checking for classes being resolved
>>> litters all of the class loader code, and we're slightly proactive in
>>> resolving in the case of reflected methods so that we needn't check for
>>> resolution when performing reflected method invocation (which is now pretty
>>> much unnecessary since [1] where we generate bytecodes at runtime to perform
>>> reflection). An aside, I wrote a paper where I use the class loader as a
>>> test case for optimizations based on stationary/immutable fields specified
>>> via constraints [2], this work specialized the class loader to handle the
>>> resolved case as a class is normally accessed when it is resolved (figures
>>> in the paper).
>>
>> Thanks for the explanation.
>>
>> Let me try to explain the problem we are meeting:
>>
>> 1. A thread invokes a static method createChild of a class Parent. It
>> causes class Parent be initialized.
>>
>> 2. In Parent's initialization, it creates an array of class Child. It
>> leads to class Child be initialized.
>
> Is this the problem? The initialization bit in the spec only says that
> a non-constant field [1] that references a type T, should cause the
> initialization of type T. This brings up two questions for me. One,
> does that implicitly include arrays of a type T? Two, why is Child
> getting loaded in the example, since it is a constant (static and
> final)?

For your questions:
1. It has two operations: a) to create an array of Child, and b) to
assign it to an array reference. Both a) and b) might not require the
class initialization. It can be verified by using:

   private static final Object childCache = new Child[5];

2. This is not a constant, because it is not compile-time value.

> The second bit seems to be violating the spec. Am I reading it wrong?
>
> [1] http://java.sun.com/docs/books/jvms/second_edition/html/Concepts.doc.html#19075
>

>> 3. In Child's initialization, it invokes Parent.createChild() to
>> initialize a static field ROOT. This leads to re-entrance of Parent
>> initialization.
>>
>> 4. The thread finds Parent is under initialization by itself, it quits
>> the initialization process and invokes Parent.createChild().
>>
>> 5. This invocation should not be permitted by the VM spec, and we
>> don't know how to deal with it. It can't wait for the initialization
>> process finished, because it is in the path of the initialization. It
>> has to do something to proceed with the initialization.
>
> Since you put "should not" in this statement, I presume this is just
> an opinion and their isn't any source that supports this, correct?

As the spec says:

A class or interface type T will be initialized immediately before one
of the following occurs:
    * T is a class and a static method of T is invoked.

Thanks,
xiaofeng

--
Xiao-Feng Li
Managed Runtime Technology Center, Intel