harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Ellison <t.p.elli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Enhanced TreeMap
Date Wed, 07 Jan 2009 10:33:52 GMT
Andrew John Hughes wrote:
> Interestingly, I do wonder if they can even use this work in OpenJDK,
> given the Apache v2 license and GPLv2 are incompatible.  The Classpath
> exception only helps when it comes to wanting to write proprietary
> Java programs and run them on OpenJDK (at least, that's my reading -
> IANAL).

IANAL either, and the license for OpenJDK is hard to figure out.  But I
think it is ok.

AIUI...

  OpenJDK is offered under the GPLv2 [1] with the Classpath Exception
applied at the end [2] which modifies some terms of the GPLv2 applying
to 'independent modules not derived from or based on the library'. Fine.

  Then there is the Assembly Exception [3] which says combining OpenJDK
with any code except the "designated exception modules" results in the
entire work being GPLv2.  The designated exception modules [4] are files
marked with the classpath exception in source code, code from Sun under
the binary license [5], and other open source files distributed from
their website(*).

It is this last point (*) that makes it ok to include Apache code in
OpenJDK -- well that and the fact that it is Sun's project so they can
do as they please with their code :-)

[1] http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-2.0.txt
[2] http://openjdk.java.net/legal/gplv2+ce.html
[3] http://openjdk.java.net/legal/assembly-exception.html