harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Rui Chu" <r...@nudt.edu.cn>
Subject Re: Re: [general] features
Date Wed, 07 Jan 2009 07:53:00 GMT
Thank you, Xiaofeng.

About Java Isolation, I am not sure whether SUN JVM implements it. If not, maybe the benefit
of Isolation is still trivial to motivate the guys in SUN, although it looks nice in the proposal.

About the second question, as you know, VMWare, as well as other system-level virtual machines,
can suspend the guest operating system when you press the 'suspend' button. You can also resume
it later, or even resume it in another host system. This feature really looks charming in
my mind.  I think JVM can also support it more easily because JVM has a relative simpler architecture
then the system-level VMs (although it is still complex). I wonder if current Harmony or SUN
JVM could do that.

The sandbox in my third question does not only mean Applet. In my vision, it should support
general java applications. The execution of the application is monitored and restricted, especially
the operations through JNI. For example, the java application cannot  access the native file
system with the same privilege of JVM, and it can only accesses a virtualized file system
instead. Is there any project or plan in Harnony or SUN JVM to do that?

Thanks again, Xiaofeng. I have read some documents and source codes. But the souce codes can
only prove what has been done in Harmony, while cannot tell me what is still not implemented.
:)  If possible, I want to continue to discuss this topic with you. Waiting for you kind response.
Anybody else want to join the topic are also appreciated.

Rui Chu
2009-01-07