harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Hindess <mark.hind...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [build] Set up an Apache build server?
Date Thu, 15 Jan 2009 09:11:04 GMT

In message <496E04FB.9070103@gmail.com>, Regis writes:

> Tim Ellison wrote:
> > As I was catching up on e-mails, and reading the discussion between
> > Chunrong and Nathan about EUT testing, it struck me that it might be
> > helpful if we had a shared build server hosted at the ASF.
> >
> > There are a number of machines running Hudson, so I believe we could get
> > a slot on a Linux machine to build and test Harmony in a way that is
> > more visible to the development group than the current community builds
> > and alerts list.
> >
> > Having community builds is still good, since the heterogeneity means we
> > get to hear about problems before they get out of hand, e.g. the ASF
> > doesn't run any Windows boxes AFAIK.
> >
> > What do you think?  Should I ask infra to get a Harmony slot on the
> > Hudson build machine?  We would have to give some indication of
> > predicted load and size of artifacts we would expect to use.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Tim
> >
> +1
> That means user could download the latest build directly, although there
> is only linux version.
>
> Should the build only run unit tests or include bti test?

Hudson gives us quite a bit of flexibility about how build/test jobs are
configured.  I think we should consider our requirements.  Personally,
I would favour a simple build job with separate jobs for different
levels of testing.  So for example, a good build might trigger a job for
classlib tests and only if the classlib tests pass (with appropriate
exclusions) would other tests (from the BTI) be executed.

We should try to set up federation build and main test jobs.  Then add
BTI tests to this depending on what the apache hudson infrastructure
will support.

Regards,
 Mark.