harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Gregory Shimansky <gshiman...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [general] features
Date Sat, 10 Jan 2009 14:36:45 GMT
On 7 January 2009 Rui Chu wrote:
> Ignoring the native APIs, can we take the heap, stack, byte codes, TLS and
> other mgmt metadata in a JVM as an status information?  Can we store the
> status in a disk file, and restore them later to perform an approximate
> "hibernate"? Maybe it is rather simple and coarse, while it would be
> attractive even when it only works for a few simple applications. After
> all, JVM is also a simple machine model rather than a full layered OS and
> system hardware...

Thinking about collecting the data from VM, Harmony probably has all of the
necessary support for it because it implements JVMTI interface, and JVMTI
agent created specifically for the purpose of taking all of the program state
snapshot has access to everything there is to collect (at least I can't think
of any data that isn't accessible using JVMTI). Maybe it is not as efficient
as a specialized extension for such purpose could be, but on the other hand
it is a specified interface and should work on any VM that supports JVMTI.

As for recreation from the dumped state, no Harmony doesn't support such
thing.

--
Gregory