harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Andrew John Hughes" <gnu_and...@member.fsf.org>
Subject Re: Enhanced TreeMap
Date Wed, 07 Jan 2009 12:30:57 GMT
2009/1/7 Tim Ellison <t.p.ellison@gmail.com>:
> Andrew John Hughes wrote:
>> Interestingly, I do wonder if they can even use this work in OpenJDK,
>> given the Apache v2 license and GPLv2 are incompatible.  The Classpath
>> exception only helps when it comes to wanting to write proprietary
>> Java programs and run them on OpenJDK (at least, that's my reading -
>> IANAL).
>
> IANAL either, and the license for OpenJDK is hard to figure out.  But I
> think it is ok.
>
> AIUI...
>
>  OpenJDK is offered under the GPLv2 [1] with the Classpath Exception
> applied at the end [2] which modifies some terms of the GPLv2 applying
> to 'independent modules not derived from or based on the library'. Fine.
>
>  Then there is the Assembly Exception [3] which says combining OpenJDK
> with any code except the "designated exception modules" results in the
> entire work being GPLv2.  The designated exception modules [4] are files
> marked with the classpath exception in source code, code from Sun under
> the binary license [5], and other open source files distributed from
> their website(*).
>
> It is this last point (*) that makes it ok to include Apache code in
> OpenJDK -- well that and the fact that it is Sun's project so they can
> do as they please with their code :-)
>
> [1] http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-2.0.txt
> [2] http://openjdk.java.net/legal/gplv2+ce.html
> [3] http://openjdk.java.net/legal/assembly-exception.html
> [4] http://openjdk.java.net/legal/exception-modules-2007-05-08.html
> [5] http://openjdk.java.net/legal/binary-license-2007-08-02.html
>
> Regards,
> Tim

Yes, I'd forgotten the assembly exception... indeed, as they already
ship Xalan and Xerces in JAXP, it must be ok....
--
Andrew :-)

Support Free Java!
http://www.gnu.org/software/classpath
http://openjdk.java.net

PGP Key: 94EFD9D8 (http://subkeys.pgp.net)
Fingerprint: F8EF F1EA 401E 2E60 15FA  7927 142C 2591 94EF D9D8