harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Andrew John Hughes" <gnu_and...@member.fsf.org>
Subject Re: Enhanced TreeMap
Date Tue, 06 Jan 2009 14:25:05 GMT
2009/1/5 Tim Ellison <t.p.ellison@gmail.com>:
> Hi Andrew,
>
> Andrew John Hughes wrote:
>> Is there any news on Sun contributing back their 1.6 TreeMap to the
>> Harmony community?
>>
>> http://blogs.sun.com/dagastine/entry/apache_harmony_thanks_for_the
>
> No news here -- I suggest asking Dave directly.

Thanks - I will.  I thought I better just check first as I've not been
tracking Harmony development and I'd look a bit dumb in the rare event
it had been committed three months ago...

> But I'm not holding my breath...
>
> http://tellison.blogspot.com/2008/12/bops-tree-hugging-and-safe-wagers.html

Seems par for the course with Sun these days.  Now they've had their
media coverage, the big guns don't seem interested in actually doing
the work on Free Java.  Of course, there are lots of great developers
working there who want things to move forward (like Dave I presume,
from his original comments) but are being stopped by management
presumably.  There have been similar issues with releasing their
plugin and JavaFX will probably go the same way.

Interestingly, I do wonder if they can even use this work in OpenJDK,
given the Apache v2 license and GPLv2 are incompatible.  The Classpath
exception only helps when it comes to wanting to write proprietary
Java programs and run them on OpenJDK (at least, that's my reading -
IANAL).

--
Andrew :-)

Support Free Java!
http://www.gnu.org/software/classpath
http://openjdk.java.net

PGP Key: 94EFD9D8 (http://subkeys.pgp.net)
Fingerprint: F8EF F1EA 401E 2E60 15FA  7927 142C 2591 94EF D9D8