harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Egor Pasko <egor.pa...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [jitrino] question about optpass
Date Tue, 20 Jan 2009 07:35:32 GMT
On the 0x53F day of Apache Harmony Aleksey Shipilev wrote:
> Hi, Anne!
>
> What exactly do you want to measure? Is that the amount of memory
> needed for specific optimization pass to complete?
>
> If so, I believe you can tap on Jitrino's MemoryManager [1] to measure
> footprint for temporal objects, see USE_TRACE_MEM_MANANGER and
> DEBUG_MEMORY_MANAGER pragmas for example. There's a little technical
> problem that some optpasses seem to use shared MemoryManager so
> there's the need to hack a little. It would be nice if you investigate
> on that matter and report back so we can improve the code.

yeah, you will probably need a custom script to analyse the log. And
use single-threaded jitting with DRLVM option -Xno_parallel_jit.

Also, stack memory consumption is huge on methods with big CFGs. And
AFAIR there is no easy way to measure that consumption precisely. You
may try looking into process information in OS though.

--
Egor Pasko