harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Alexei Fedotov" <alexei.fedo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Using PriviAction instead of PrivilegedAction
Date Tue, 23 Dec 2008 08:05:50 GMT
> every module already depends on luni module

I found luni dependencies in the following modules:archive auth, awt,
imageio, nio, prefs, security, sql, suncompat, text, x-net. Others
does not seem to depend from luni. Looking deeper into these
dependencies I convinced myself that it might be a good idea to
separate generic java helpers which resided in
org.apache.harmony.luni.util into a separate helper module. I believe
this should not apply to the PriviAction: this secure utility should
be moved to the security module instead to keep things properly

Most packages use java.lang.* but not necessarily internal
undocumented helpers. This allows plugging our library modules into
different VMs using standard interface.

On Tue, Dec 23, 2008 at 8:36 AM, Regis <xu.regis@gmail.com> wrote:
> Nathan Beyer wrote:
>> On Mon, Dec 22, 2008 at 11:15 PM, Kevin Zhou <zhoukevin83@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>> Nathan, thanks for your comments.
>>> Nathan wrote,
>>> package in LUNI.
>>> Yes, that would be.
>>> internally.
>>> Adding an internally-used helper class can improve modularity. But I
>>> doubt
>>> that it may bring redundant codes.
>>> For example, both LUNI and Security needs to access the system
>>> properties.
>>> In fact, PriviAction implements PrivilegedAction and only provides
>>> services
>>> to get system properties, security properties and so.
>> I understand, but eliminating redundant code isn't an absolute value
>> -- it's not always a good thing. Reuse must be balanced with the
>> requirements of modularity and the needs of isolation.
> Yes, it's trade off, but seems every module already depends on luni module,
> another helper class may could not help more.
>> -Nathan
>>> What about improving this helper class instead of adding an internal
>>> helper
>>> classes in each module?
> --
> Best Regards,