harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Ellison <t.p.elli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Using PriviAction instead of PrivilegedAction
Date Wed, 24 Dec 2008 11:10:02 GMT
I didn't see a good answer to Alexei's question...

Alexei Fedotov wrote:
> Pavel,
> Kevin didn't mention performance, did he?
>
> I believe it is always a trade off between modularity and speed. The
> performance measurement might be a part of Kevin's arguments if his
> intentions are to improve the performance. That is why I asked him to
> elaborate both approaches uncovering intentions.
>
> If our internal security interfaces are much quicker on real
> applications I would wonder why our public interfaces are so slow.

What problem is the PriviAction solving?  I see the class comment [1] says:

"Helper class to avoid multiple anonymous inner class for
java.security.AccessController#doPrivileged(PrivilegedAction) calls."

Is that really a problem?  For readability or performance?

[1]
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/harmony/enhanced/classlib/trunk/modules/luni/src/main/java/org/apache/harmony/luni/util/PriviAction.java?revision=486600

Regards,
Tim