harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Ellison <t.p.elli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VM] On-demand class library parsing is ready to commit
Date Fri, 19 Dec 2008 15:59:57 GMT
I was hoping that somebody else would comment first, so I don't have to
be the grumpy one all the time :-)

As I said before, this is good prototyping work...

Wenlong Li wrote:
> I did the pre-commit test on the patch of on-demand class library
> parsing (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HARMONY-6039), and it
> works well now.
> Can Harmony incorporate this feature?

I'm not sure it is ready for committing to the head stream yet.

> Via on-demand class parsing, we can reduce startup time from 20+
> seconds to 3 seconds for cold runing, and 170 ms to 140 ms for warm-up
> running on Core 2 Duo with Windows.

Can you tell me how to reproduce 20+sec cold start-up?  I haven't seen
anything like that in my simple tests.

> After applying the patch, please note there is some change to add new modules.
> (1) If you want to add new modules/libraries, please don't put them in
> the bootclasspath.properties file. This file now only saves modules
> needed during startup (the VM startup only accesses class libraries in
> eight modules)

That would break too much.  How about creating a new file rather than
re-purposing an existing file with different semantics?  This file is
used by Jikes, IBM VME, the Eclipse plug-in, at least.

> (2) For new modules/libraries, please put them in the
> modulelibrarymapping.properties file. You should specify the module
> name and its exported class library. Here is one example:
> math.jar=java.math, where "math.jar" means the module name, and
> "java.math" means the class libraries this module exports.

As we discussed on another thread, its unclear if the time is spent in
following the slow indexing through the classpath/JAR directories, or
whether it is speed of loading bytes once we know what we need.  I think
that it is premature to abandon the JAR manifest data as the principal
source of metadata until we understand the problem this solves.

Can we measure where the time is spent in the current implementation?
I think it will help guide this approach to a better solution.
What tools do you recommend for profiling start-up?

Regards
Tim