harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Ellison <t.p.elli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [general] Board report due
Date Wed, 10 Dec 2008 13:26:09 GMT
Xiao-Feng Li wrote:
> Tim, the part for Ja.NET looks not very accurate. In my understanding,
> Ja.NET uses entire Harmony (classlib+DRLVM) to run Java as is, and has
> an adapter to run Java on .NET (default in Windows).

I must have misunderstood Dave's description (hopefully he'll speak up
if he's reading this list).

>From his blog [1]:

"So in Ja.SE, each of the Harmony libraries gets translated into a .NET
Assembly. If you look in the jre/bin/default directory, you’ll see
several janet.xxx.dll’s (e.g. janet.luni.dll). Each one of these
provides .NET implementation code for a corresponding Harmony class
library module.

"Now, when you run the Java launcher, you have the option of loading
either the .NET VM or the Harmony JVM, based on command line options. By
default, the launcher will load the VM contained in the jre/bin/default
folder, which in a Ja.SE distribution, is Ja.NET/.NET. In default, there
is a small shim (i.e. harmonyvm.dll) that is used to load up the .NET
CLR and start it running. Depending on which VM the launcher starts, the
appropriate set of class libraries (i.e. either .NET version or normal
Java version), gets loaded and the application is off and running. "

So AIUI, users have the option of running the regular Harmony class
libraries on the DRLVM /or/ the specially compiled versions on the .NET
VM.  Is that your understanding too?

[1] http://www.janetdev.org/Default.aspx?tabid=69&EntryID=4

Regards,
Tim