harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Regis <xu.re...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [classlib] [luni] Should Improve File System Exception Messages
Date Tue, 09 Dec 2008 12:04:11 GMT
Hi,

I have attached a patch for this issue on JIRA.

I think that would be helpful to add file path in error messages when
throw FileNotFoundException, and that need to allocate new memory for
the new messages, I used hymem_allocate_memory to do this. But I don't
have chance to free that memory, since exception thrown, code back to
java. That may cause memory leak, I know define a enough large char
array could avoid this, but need more memory (path may be very long), is
there any other better way to do this? Thanks!

Regis wrote:
> I found readImpl and writeImpl in OSFileSystem.c use
>
> netLookupErrorString(env, HYPORT_ERROR_FILE_LOCKED)
>
> to get error messages, which are hard coded in nethelp.c, my questions are:
>
> 1. why does file read/write need to get error messages from nethelp.c?
> We already have hyfile_error_message() can do that.
>
> 2. error messages are hard coded in netLookupErrorString, is that expected?
>

> Tim Ellison wrote:
>> Regis wrote:

So I

>>> Yes, we could supply the utility function first, and then use it when
>>> needed. If no one object I would like to add this function.
>>
>> How about raising the exception (with the right message) in the openImpl
>> native code rather than just returning -1 and crossing the JNI-boundary
>> again to find the reason?
>>
>> There are other cases (i.e. other than FileNotFound) that you might want
>> to distinguish through IOExceptions too.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Tim
>>

> Best Regards,
> Regis.