harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Nathan Beyer" <ndbe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Android source: open for business
Date Tue, 30 Dec 2008 20:30:49 GMT
That might be over-simplifying the issue. We've taken the concurrency
code without a submission - the code was asserted to be public domain.
What we're discussing isn't public domain, but, in theory, is a
compatible license.

I believe the intent of the wiki article is to get new committers to
think about what they're doing, which seems to be working.

-Nathan

On Tue, Dec 30, 2008 at 3:30 AM, Alexei Fedotov
<alexei.fedotov@gmail.com> wrote:
> Nathan, Jack,
>
> We have the following text at [1].
>
>> Always remember that you can never commit code that comes from someone else, even
a co-worker. All code from someone else must be submitted by the copyright holder (either
the author or author's employer, depending) as a JIRA, and then follow up with the required
ACQs and BCC.

> Any committer who obey this statement cannot technically commit any
> code from Google because
> * it is not in JIRA;
> * we don't have required ACQ and BCC.
>
> Well, we might think of revising the statement.
>
> [1] http://wiki.apache.org/harmony/NewCommitter
>
> On Tue, Dec 30, 2008 at 12:20 PM, Alexei Fedotov
> <alexei.fedotov@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello,
>> I have studied Google CLG ("Contributor License Grant") documents
>> provided by Dan.
>>
>> <http://source.android.com/license/individual-contributor-license---android-open-source-project>
>> <http://source.android.com/license/corporate-contributor-license---android-open-source-project>
>>
>> It seems that the "Project leads and [...] recipients of software
>> distributed by the Project Leads [..] get the patent license". How can
>> we prove that Apache is the recipient of software distributed by the
>> Project Leads?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> On Tue, Dec 30, 2008 at 3:43 AM, Nathan Beyer <ndbeyer@apache.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm not talking about a bulk contribution from Google folks. I'm
>>> talking about Harmony committers and contributors looking at the
>>> Android source and maybe taking a few lines here or there. Assuming
>>> it's licensed as ASLv2 and the provenance is able to be determined
>>> (likely Harmony > Android, then augmented under ASLv2), shouldn't it
>>> be acceptable? IANAL, so I'm posing the scenario.
>>>
>>> -Nathan

The