harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "chunrong lai" <chunrong...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [vote] Declare r711744 as M8
Date Wed, 12 Nov 2008 08:31:52 GMT
hi, Tim:
    The severe uncaught NullPointerException comes with the stub of
vm_rt_monitor_enter. Originally we have two null checkings with that. The
first one is just before the stub and is controled by JIT. The second is
inside the stub. So we had not met the reported exception.
    A commit in May (r659128) removeed the null checking (and exception
throwing) inside the stub when doing some optimizations (for HARMONY-5714).
Now we find that the null checking before the stub will also be removed
after some aggressive optimizations. I talked with buqi and he thought that
JIT should never remove such null checking and he is also trying to prepare
a patch to fix this issue.
    I think we can have a fast and safe fix for this uncaught exception by
simply adding the null checking code bak to the stub. In this way M8 will
run just like M6, M5 etc. Are there other committers supporting this? We can
also wait for Buqi's (real) fix in JIT to remove the uncaught exception in
M8.