harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Wenlong Li" <wenl...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [performance] Startup cost is high for Harmony (HARMONY-6002)
Date Thu, 13 Nov 2008 07:40:36 GMT
Agree.

Hello, all,
I collect the required classes/packages/jars in
http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HARMONY-6002. As we discussed, we
can package these classes into the bootstramp.jar, and handle other
classes/jars on demand.

In my mind, we can parse all jars at startup, and only save the
manifest of each jar (except bootstramp.jar with all jars loaded
during startup). Later, when a new class is required, we can parse the
manifest to see this class in which jar, and then read all classes in
this jar to class cache (because I/O is also expensive, so I think we
should read all classes in this jar). As for implementation, I think
we can add code in LoadFromJarFile of classloader.cpp to support
on-demand jar/class parsing and loading. Is my understanding correct?
One more question is how to generate bootstramp.jar automatically? At
this moment, we can manually produce it, but it doesn't make sense for
a product. I guess we need make some modification on the modularity
under working_classlib\modules

What do you think?

Thx,
 Wenlong