harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Wenlong Li" <wenl...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [performance] Startup cost is high for Harmony (HARMONY-6002)
Date Thu, 06 Nov 2008 01:13:06 GMT
All,

Thx for all your nice comments and suggestion.
Before trying your suggestion, here I would like to share some
findings, and expect your thoughts.
(a) As all jars reside in disk, the expensive I/O is a problem. For
example, the first run takes 876 ms to create VM, while the following
run takes only 170 ms. I think this is due to the disk cache warm-up
problem. I did another experiment on Linux machine, where I put the
all jars in the /dev/shm directory. We saw the first run has the same
performance as the following runs, indicating pre-loading the data
into memory or disk cache can speed up startup.
(b) The bootclasspath.properties in lib/boot directory defines what
jars will be parsed and loaded during startup. I just removed some
jars, and found the startup time can be further reduced from 170 ms to
140 ms for the run with warm-uped disk cache.
(c) As the compilation time is also high in client mode, I use the
interperter mode to run the program, and found the time can decrease
from 140 ms to 94 ms.

Any thought?

Thx, Wenlong