harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Hindess <mark.hind...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [performance] Startup cost is high for Harmony (HARMONY-6002)
Date Wed, 05 Nov 2008 16:45:53 GMT

In message <bdbaeccd0811031931o16ab41c5oeac5a8f2f0140d92@mail.gmail.com>, "Wenl
ong Li" writes:

> Another optimization in my mind is to reduce the disk I/O time, where
> I could merge all jars into one big jar to provide .class file.
> Another possible approach is to pre-load these jar files into disk
> cache or memory (put all jars into /dev/shm directory under Linux OS).
>
> What do you think? Any comments or suggestion are welcome and appreciated.

As Regis says we probably don't want to break the modularity to solve this.
Perhaps we can learn something from the "Booting Linux in five seconds"[0]
work.  They use sReadahead to do all the I/O up front[1] maybe there is a way
we do something similar for the "blocks" read on startup?

Regards,
 Mark.

[0] http://lwn.net/Articles/299483/
[1] Actually not upfront but using in an "idle" I/O scheduler but this isn't
    really an option for us.