harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Diab Abuaiadh <dia...@hotmail.com>
Subject RE: A few questions/help.
Date Thu, 13 Nov 2008 10:42:45 GMT

Thank you Alexey,

I thought that IBM "gave j9" to the open source community...:)

I left IBM at 2006 and I did not work on the JVM from 2004. I discovered a new
algorithms that will significantly improve the performance of J9 (the garbage
collection part). I discovered these algorithms last month. I talked to IBM and they have
no
problem with this since I discovered these algorithms after I left IBM. If j9 code is available,
I will be able to implement these algorithms in no time.

Could you please send me Xiao-Feng Li email?

Thank you,
Diab.> Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2008 13:27:50 +0300> From: alexey.a.petrenko@gmail.com>
To: dev@harmony.apache.org> Subject: Re: A few questions/help.> > BTW, if you plan
to contribute your code to Harmony as a result of> your tests you should read the following
pages:> http://harmony.apache.org/contribution_policy.html> http://harmony.apache.org/auth_cont_quest.html>
> Considering your previous IBM VM experience it could be impossible to> commit your
code to Harmony code base.> However, this situation requires deeper investigation and you
are free> to use Harmony for your research in any case.> > SY, Alexey> > 2008/11/13
Alexey Petrenko <alexey.a.petrenko@gmail.com>:> > Hi, Diab.> >> >
IBM has not opened the source code of j9 vm, as far as I know.> > However, you can implement
and test your new algorithms with drlvm,> > which is available in Harmony. Drlvm already
has number GC> > implementations and it is possible to add one more.> >> >
Probably the best contact person for GC rela
 ted stuff in Harmony is> > Xiao-Feng Li. I believe that he will come up with the comments.>
to Harmony :)> >> > 2008/11/13 Diab Abuaiadh <diab_a@hotmail.com>:> >>>
>> Dear Sir/Madam, I have a few questions/help. Please let me introduce myself.My name
is diab abuaiadh. I worked at ibm and invented the parallel compactionalgorithms implemented
at ibm products (sov and j9). I left IBM at 2006.I have new algorithms for the garbage collection
and I am very interested to implementthese algorithms. I have a few questions for you: did
IBM gave j9 to the open source community?In other words, can I get the code for j9 and implement/test
my new algorithms? I will be happy to share some of the ideas I have with the open source
>> Invite your mail contacts to join your friends list with Windows Live Spaces. It's
easy!>
  >> http://spaces.live.com/spacesapi.aspx?wx_action=create&wx_url=/friends.aspx&mkt=en-us>

Explore the seven wonders of the world