harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Xiao-Feng Li" <xiaofeng...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Sorry...I was not clear in my previous post....I hope this one is more clear
Date Thu, 13 Nov 2008 12:56:04 GMT
On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 8:23 PM, Tim Ellison <t.p.ellison@gmail.com> wrote:
> Diab Abuaiadh wrote:
>> Hi Xiaofeng,
>>
>> I left IBM at 2006. I thought that IBM gave J9 to the open source community.
>> If I have J9 or (sun jvm...I think it is called sov) I will be able to implement
>> the new algorithms in short time....Maybe one month or less.
>>
>> I am not familiar with DRLVM...I am afraid it may take time to implement
>> the new algorithms....the other things is if I implement the new algorithms
>> on J9, I will be able to compare the result with the previous algorithm in J9.
>
> If you write a new algorithm on DRLVM you can still compare it to the
> existing J9 algorithm :-) or the DRLVM algorithms.
>
> We are aiming to improve the DRLVM in this project, as mentioned
> elsewhere, J9 is not open source so no opportunity for you to contribute
> directly there.
>
>> Question: what algrithms you use to implement the garbage collection in DRLVM?
>> what compaction algorithm you use?
>
> Did you look at the website already?  There are a number of documents
> that will be of interest to you, including a How-To for new GC
> algorithms [1]
>
> I suggest you check your ability to contribute to the project, then
> describe your ideas and work with Xiao-Feng and everyone on this list to
> implement it.  I'm sure you'll get some useful feedback.

Right. I am very happy to help the new algorithm be implemented in
DRLVM, assuming there is no legal obstacle.

Diab, I realized I am quite familiar with the algorithm you published
in OOPSLA2004. :)

DRLVM has a couple of GC implementations. All of them share the same
code base (or same GC infrastructure). You can write a new GC from the
scratch by only using the GC/VM APIs defined in Harmony, or you can
develop your algorithm in the same code base as the existing GCs, then
you can leverage the infrastructures.

Thanks,
xiaofeng

--