harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Aleksey Shipilev" <aleksey.shipi...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [vote] Declare r711744 as M8
Date Wed, 12 Nov 2008 12:21:09 GMT
On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 2:17 PM, Tim Ellison <t.p.ellison@gmail.com> wrote:
> Can you think of a situation when the null check will introduce some
> instability or regression?
I actually persuaded by Chunrong's point -- that's double checking, so
no problems should occur.

As for introducing new bugs, consider the issue described in
HARMONY-6013 is really covering some other deadly issue. Consider the
workload where NPE is not firing because of H6013, so after H6013 gets
fixed the control flow in that workload is going differ than in tested
M8. As many uses of the helper, as many the chances the control flow
differs. Having that, we can't say the change is minor. If I will be
able eventually to say that similar changes are "limited
impact"-issues, then you should employ me as oracle tester <g> :)

Of course, that's the speculation if this is actually a double null checking.
I just want not to guess while talking about milestones.

Thanks,
Aleksey.